Thursday, September 2, 2010

Be the Best

All my life I've lived by a certain motto (and anyone who knows me can vouch for this), it goes a little something like this: "Be the best of whatever you are". However, as a young, imperfect adolescent I misunderstood this and interpreted it to mean "Be the best" period. Now, the world is populated by approximately 6, 697, 254,041 people (I googled it) with me being the tiny little 1 at the end. What are the chances of me being the number one best? I'll let you do the math.
Although any third party observer could tell you that it was a completely delusional thought it took me a while to finally get it, but I did. Unfortunately, I "got it" in a fairly drastic way. I decided that if I couldn't be the best, I wouldn't be anything. For a good portion of my life this stopped me from doing..well...a lot.

Recently though, (like everything else in my life) my thinking has gone through some major changing. Child development experts McDevitt and Ormrod (2010) call it qualitative changes - drastic changes in the essence or underlying structure of a characteristic - I guess it mustn't be that uncommon.

So, I've added the end bit back on the motto and that's where we are now.

I've decided to start drawing again - well, in all honestly it's actually painting. I've never really been big on painting before, I mostly just do face painting and even that has been pretty average. I figure if I can dedicate even a small portion of my evenings to something useful and constructive it could only really benefit me. And this is just the beginning of it. Hopefully It'll just keep getting better and better...







2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks good, sweets. One day you'll listen to me and realise you have all the talent in this relationship. :D

Rika said...

but until then my love, I leave it to you :D